.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mmmmm.....Food.......

Friday, March 10, 2006

Refrigerator Bran Muffins

I revised this recipe my mom gave me (not sure where she got it from) to make it lower in fat, higher in fiber, & low sugar. In essence - I made it WW friendly. I also halved the original recipe because the original recipe makes 48 muffins and it would take us the full 6 weeks that this batter can be stored for to actually go through that much. You store this batter in an air-tight container and only take out as much batter as you need. So, you can make a couple muffins at a time. I figure I'll wake up and pop a couple of muffins in the oven while I shower and that way they are colled when we are ready to eat breakfast. Nice warm muffins for breakfas - how tasty.

Refrigerator Bran Muffins
Makes 24 Muffins
WW Points: 26 points in the whole batch, 1 pt. per muffin
Per Muffin: Calories - 64, Fat (g) 1.7, Fiber (g) 1.6

3.5 C Raisin Bran
2.5 C Whole Wheat Flour
1.5 C Splenda
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 Eggs, beaten
2 C Skim Milk
1/2 C Applesauce
2 T Canola Oil

Combine cereal, flour, splenda, baking soda, salt, & cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Mix well to combine. Add beaten eggs, oil, milk, vanilla & applesauce. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Cover bowl tightly with wax paper and foil. Chill batter for at least 24 hours before using. The batter will keep, if tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.

To bake, heat ven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin cup or use muffin liners. Stir batter gently to mix. Scoop 1/4 C into each muffin cup. For baking just a few, a toaster oven works fine. Bake 20 minutes or until muffins are springy to touch in center. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.

3 Comments:

  • Mmmmmm.....I let the batter sit for over 24 hours, like the recipe said, and made some muffins for breakfast.

    Very Tasty.

    By Blogger Lame Shrill Owl, at 8:22 AM  

  • I have made this recipe with many different kinds of cereal, and they turn out well. The best tasting one I've tried is Honey Oat Crunch (Aldi equivilent of Honey Bunches Of Oats I think). Tastes good even without the raisens; although I usually add raisens or other fruit if there are none in the cereal.

    By Blogger Tru, at 4:24 AM  

  • I kinda like the raisin bran because it is so high in fiber.

    The muffins taste even better as the batter ages for a few days in the fridge.

    This weekend I'll be making the last of the batter, maybe I should have made the "whole" recipe rather than halfing it.

    By Blogger Lame Shrill Owl, at 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home